All the flavors of a favorite ice cream treat are found in these Chocolate Malt Cookies!
It’s summertime! Although lately, it doesn’t feel like it here in Minnesota. The thermometer hasn’t gotten much above 60 degrees the past few days, so it’s a little cold to be sipping milkshakes and chocolate malts! The house has actually been a little chilly in the morning, but that makes it perfect for baking cookies. So what better to get the fabulous flavors of a malt, than by baking these Chocolate Malt Cookies.
I have been baking a lot of cookies lately. Cookies are one of my favorite things to bake for people. They make the perfect afternoon treat when that afternoon slump hits. Kids love them for an after school snack. Really, who can resist a home-baked cookie? And I love that there are soooo many varieties to make, that I can make a different kind of cookie every time I fire up the oven. As most of you know, the recipes on this site come mostly from my mom’s collection of clippings, notes and cookbooks. And she LOVED to collect cookie recipes, so I have a lot of cookies to choose from.
This recipe is one that she clipped from a magazine. Although they look a lot like a regular chocolate chip cookie, the recipe has two secret ingredients that give them that ice cream parlor flavor. Malted Milk powder and chocolate syrup.
Malted Milk powder can be found in your local grocery store. It is what’s used to give that distinct flavor to ice cream malts. And a little chocolate syrup adds some extra flavor to the dough, giving it that extra chocolate malt flavor that is oh-so-delicious. And if that’s not chocolatey enough for ya, we add two kinds of chocolate, milk chocolate chips and semi-sweet chocolate chunks, to take that chocolate flavor to the next level. OMG these are SO good!
Like I said, I love baking cookies and I have made a lot of cookies over the years. These Chocolate Malt Cookies are the next best thing to an old-fashioned malted milk and are one of my favorites! I hope they become one of your favorites too. Happy Baking!
Yields 30 cookies
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored vegetable shortening
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup malted milk powder
- 2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chunks
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In large bowl, combine butter, shortening, brown sugar, malted milk powder, chocolate syrup and vanilla; beat well, scraping bowl often. Add egg; blend well.
- In small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda and salt. Gradually add to butter mixture, blending well after each addition.
- Stir in chocolate chips and chunks.
- Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees F. for 9-11 minutes, until lightly browned on edges. Cool 1 minute on pan. Place cookies on cooling rack and cool completely.